Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Log :09/29/2013
After many weeks of installing an engine and getting the mass of lines and hoses back in place and  after cleaning up the whirlwind of mess left behind it was time to go sailing again.

This trip would be just Debbie and me.  It was a Sunday sail. We started with me single handedly moving the Lady out of her birth and on to the face dock. Deb went to Church that morning I stayed behind to ready the boat for sailing. It was a clear day a small front had moved thru the night before leavening in its wake a very clear breezy day. Jim and I had completed the lazy jack system the day before and Deb and I couldn’t waste to try it out. I explained to Deb how it worked and how simple it would make dropping the sails after a day of sailing.
A few thousand feet from the docks at the Port Royal landing marina, Debby made the first attempt to raise the main sail. The wind was strong enough that I had to keep the nose of the boat into the wind or lose control of steering. The sail kept getting hung up, but hung up on what? I kept trying to see what it was. She was struggling in a strong wind I said “come take the helm” Take the Helm” She came and I went forward to see what the heck. I got it un stuck. The sail slug lock had come lose and 4 of the slugs had come out of the track.  We had to work as a team as she raised the main ever so slowly; I put the slugs back in their track. What I didn't realize at the time is I had fouled the lazy jack staggering the line between the slugs.  We had to start over after 25 minutes struggling with this thing. After we got it straight it worked like charm. It’s a great addition to the boat. 

Something really cool being on the water just my baby and me, working together like a well oiled machine. She thinks ahead of me and I think ahead of her. We always know what the other is thinking. I guess that’s how you get after 30 years working together as husband and wife.
We sailed out threw the cat Island spoil area and to the turn to the south in the Beaufort River.  We sailed for 5 hours. We got back just in time to put the East Coast Lady back in her birth with the help of the lull tide. We saw dolphin’s on our way out and on the way back in. The boat handled great and we enjoyed another great day sailing together.    I can’t wait till the day comes that we can go travel together and see the world by boat. Its day sails like these that prepare us for the times to come.  
Y’all came visit us and let’s go sailing.

No comments:

Post a Comment