Tuesday, July 16, 2013

LOG Pot July 2013 Blown Engine...

I say out with the old and in with the new...
I have struggled on this decision way too long. Given, the age on this boat. Given the fact the PO left sea water in the block with no anodes for at least 4 years while is sat on the hook unattended, Given the fact, I can find no record of maintenance on the boat, I will assume that the boats engine is in the throws of giving up the ghost because of lack of care and maintenance.
        I will record the whole process, from start to finish. Cost in time, parts and money. I will show the process and I will complete this DYI project with ingenuity. I will ask and beg as needed for help as needed; it is my goal to complete this project under $5,000 dollars.
Below is the old engine, a 1979 built Yanmar 2GM-13 3400 RPM engine with no telling how many hours as there is no hour meter. I have installed one now.
I have purchased a mid to late 1980’s 2gm20F 16 Hp at 3400 RPMs.
Step one will be to check the new “to me” engine from e-Bay over real good to fix or repair anything it may need to be useable, mounts, hoses, harness, senders stuff like this.
Then I will pull the wiring harness and old Yanmar gauge / start panel. Next the water lines and thru-hulls taken off and blocked off. I will then begin the process of pulling the engine. I have the idea that I can use the main halyard to pull it out. I will temporality mount a sheave on the boom to help hold the halyard in place. I disconnect the shaft coupling and the motor mounts wha-la. Ease it out and swing the boom over to the dock and lower it on a cart. Then I will do as Mark suggested and clean the whole compartment and install all new thru hoses all new water lines. I will then install LED’s and clean and paint with new white paint.
       I will keep you posted on the progress. I should have the engine by the weekend.
If there is any advice you think I could use please feel free. I have never done this and could use all the help I can get.
Here is the old eng “ Notice the pitting in the block and head” and the new…

Thanks again







No comments:

Post a Comment