Wednesday, January 2, 2013

2013 ushers in a new year of opportunity




The changing of the year from 2012 to 2013 gives me a renewed sense of urgency. 
I think what made boat ownership work for me is that I really focused all my money and energy on what was most important to me: sailing. Because of that I worked out a 1 year a 5 year and a 10 year plan. I read ever blog and article or book that I could get my hands on. I read stories of others that have done it and are doing it right now. I also decided not to look at debt as a barrier. I will sell just about everything of value that I own and invest in the boat and paying off the debt. Then we will create a lifestyle around our goals and considered paying our loan payments as one of them. At that point "2023" we will either sell the East Coast Lady to Jim and Marcia and buy a 37 footer or sail the Lady up and down the eastern seaboard.We'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Believe you me, I've met a lot of sailors and most of them are sailing to distant islands, but still carrying debt.
It’s important to keep our hearts focused on sailing and think creatively. Often our dreams need to be alive and present in our daily life and we need to be actively working toward them for years before they happen. So don’t dismiss them yet! Keep it as your main priority. You’ll get there and so will we.
I read an article that said that our lives are influenced only on 10% of outside factors, 25% birthright, and the rest is our own genius. That’s 65% of our life is created by our decisions alone! That’s amazing.
           
    The day I purchased the east coast lady and began my blog was the day I began to learn, write, save, and do all the things I thought I needed to do before Deb and I begin to sail and write.
There are only two steps: one- Learn how to make our dream possible.
Two- Start doing the thing we dream of.
We only have to rearrange the order of those steps to get from dreaming to doing.
To progress from saying, “Someday I will,” to saying, “I am.” “I have” and we are leaving in the morning. When we moved to the coast I never thought I would get a boat as soon as I did. I was truly looking at 5 years or better. But I came with; what in my humble opinion was a brilliant plan. I set out to find a derelict vessel. One that had been forsaken abandoned and disregarded. I saw a lot of them around the coast are just in that condition.

                So with March the 16th coming, we are closing in on a year of the 1st Years goal.                                ” Get a sail boat for free and learn how to sail” We have 12 to 18 trips under her keel and at an average of 25 nm each. that’s around 450 to 500 nm.  We need to double that this coming year. But we are blessed and happy with the progress. Hope to make our first overnight trip to Hilton head in January. Not sure if we can talk Marcia and Jim into that one but we are going to try. its not that long of a trip and they can stay in a hotel and Deb and I will crash on board. Sounds like a hoot to me.




We will keep you posted on the progress.
Cheers and happy 2013.


Please keep our solders in your prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment