Thursday, April 5, 2012

They are waiting

I was out fishing over 2 and half years ago I noticed all these abandoned boats on the waterways of Beaufort co.
I drove through row after row of boats, primarily sailboats, stored in a disgraceful manner in a watery grave in the elements they only last a few years. There was every make, model and flavor that you could ever think of. Most were covered to varying degrees in bird poop, and mildew, but under that, you could still get a feel for the condition they were in. Some were far gone, even by my low standards; they represent death, the end, the point of no return. Many, in fact most of these boats were still salvageable. All of them are old, and they are waiting.

Most of these boats have long stories to tell. Years of stories of exciting races, scary weather, harrowing near collisions. Romantic weekends at anchor where lovers cooked romantic, simple dinners on weak, alcohol stoves, and skinny dipping in the moonlight. Family cruises where kids would dive off of the stern and swim in the cove, with lunches of PB&J sandwiches, and sterno dinners.

Now, they are waiting. What are they waiting for? I'll tell you:

The water, be it lake, creek, river, bay or Ocean represents one of the last Free places of man and woman. Freer than driving a car, flying a plane, or riding a motorcycle. Only the vastness of space can compete. I think that the fewest number of laws apply to a skipper on the water, compared to a homeowner on land. On the water, your yacht, whether its 20 feet long, or 200 feet, is your domain, your castle, your ticket to exciting times, exciting travel, and making your own exciting stories. All you need is a few provisions and some wind and your future belongs to you, not traffic or opening hours of a store or whatever else restricts your day to day movement. It’s your life. It doesn’t belong to the world. You are only on this planet for a short while. I challenge you to challenge yourself. Take control of your destiny. Make a plan and stick with it. You can make it happen. I know.

These boats are waiting to liberate people, to serve them, to teach them, to be their trusted companions, to take them places and make more stories.

As I drove through the rows of boats in three mooring fields, looking at so many children’s future fun and laughter and dreams, all I could hear was a chorus of "Pick me, pick me!" from all of them. They are all waiting for someone to love them, and liberate them from their anchor-bound prisons, and in turn, liberate and save the one who saves them, from a life of endless toiling on land just existing, not really doing anything with their lives, just waiting for tomorrow. Then when tomorrow gets here you do it again. Next thing you know 10 years have slipped by, then 20 years. As I passed by the mooring field boats I wanted to weep. I felt sad for all the thousands of people that are shackled to a life they don’t like.

All I can say now is "I'm sorry ladies, but I've already saved my girl, I'm spoken for."
The Yacht, the East Coast Lady is well on her way form the chains that once bound her, to a life where two families will share in the love of affordable yacht ownership. They will now share in the dreams and the love affair of a Yacht with decades of history already under her keel. Thank you Vincent!! 

What ever you do, do it today. Change the course of your life if it’s not where you want or need to be. Let your life be Christ centered. The lord has given us many opportunities to change our life.   
They are waiting, waiting quietly falling to pieces under sun, salt and wind, for you to change your life and make your dreams come true and bringing them back to life.
They are waiting.


I hope someday, to cross paths with you on the waterways of some exotic port of call or a moon lit bay.
Cheers  

2 comments:

  1. Curtis, this is wonderful! you should publish your writings. I am so proud of you and your family, and especially how you share your heart. I love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just chanced on to your blog and so glad I did. This is really a story worth sharing. Specifically the part about the passage of time. I am younger but I share your outlook on life and your love for the vastness of the ocean as well. I hope you get to follow through on your dreams!!

    ReplyDelete